Writer-Editor | Silver Spring, MD
Nexight Group is seeking an intelligent, thoughtful individual with proven experience managing the development and completion of written project deliverables with clear, concise, and scannable content tailored to target audiences. An ideal writer-editor has a knack for synthesizing information to draw meaningful conclusions; writing original and engaging content that accurately communicates complex information; editing content from multiple authors for clarity, conciseness, and accuracy; coordinating and consolidating report inputs from a variety of sources and contributors; and developing and managing project schedules with teams of Nexight analysts, writers, and editors.
We are a small consulting firm working in a wide mix of subject areas for a variety of clients in the public and private sectors. This makes adaptability, critical thinking, and genuine curiosity as important as skills and subject matter expertise.
Applicants should have the necessary skills to perform the following job responsibilities:
- Rapidly build an understanding of specialized information in new subject areas and translate that understanding into a format that is accessible for both subject matter experts and non-expert audiences.
- Work individually and with a team to research and analyze quantitative and qualitative data, track and analyze trends, develop insightful and accurate syntheses of key issues, and tackle similar tasks that require strong critical thinking and analysis of complex problems.
- Produce succinct, accurate, and well-documented analyses that synthesize specialized information—understanding the difference between summarizing and synthesizing information—at a level appropriate to the target audience, from executives to employees, at all levels of an organization.
- Write and edit concise and clear content, as part of a team, for reports, presentations, fact sheets, operational guides, and training material.
- Manage a master document, integrating inputs from multiple sources and authors, editing content for clarity and accuracy based on Nexight and client style guides, and serving as the last line of defense before a document is delivered to the client.
- Interview and communicate with subject matter experts to gather informed and original opinions on topics of study or clarify specific trends or meaning of data.
- Participate in and support face-to-face meetings with middle- or higher-level managers and executives.
- Develop both detailed and high-level summaries of interviews, meetings, and workshops.
- Ensure technical accuracy of materials at all times while improving grammar, punctuation, readability, style, flow, and persuasiveness to achieve objectives.
- Develop and track project schedules to ensure continuous progress needed to meet a known deadline.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communications skills
Summary of Qualifications
- 1–5 years of professional experience
- Demonstrated ability to quickly review, comprehend, analyze, and synthesize large amounts of qualitative or quantitative data and communicate it to various audiences
- Ability to comfortably and professionally communicate with colleagues and external partners at all levels of seniority
- Strong desire to work with teams, keeping clear lines of communication and meeting shared goals
- Demonstrated experience coordinating document development
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written, that reflect strong critical thinking, analysis, and synthesis capabilities
- Ability to work well independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Strict attention to detail with minimal oversight required
- An entrepreneurial, “roll up your sleeves” spirit that realizes value in all tasks, large and small, likes to learn by doing, and desires continuous improvement and innovation
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to attain a Public Trust clearance
- Knowledge and previous use of style guides
- Experience facilitating diverse groups to come to consensus or collaborate on a way forward
- Full-time professional experience in a policy analysis and/or project management consulting or other professional environment
Why Nexight Group?
We believe in hiring the best people possible and creating a stimulating work environment where employees can have fun and excel professionally. We’re a small firm with a family atmosphere, and we value a work-life balance. At Nexight Group, you will not be bogged down in bureaucratic processes, but you will be challenged to perform at a high level, even outside your area of expertise. Employees visibly contribute to the success of the company, and are empowered to manage their careers and encouraged to explore professional interests.
To apply, please submit a complete resume and a cover letter that includes salary requirements and an explanation of how your skills and background fit with the position. Please send all information to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the job title for which you are applying in the subject line of your email. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
All full-time employees of Nexight Group receive a competitive salary and attractive benefits, including medical and dental insurance, company contributions to employee health savings accounts (HSAs), company 401(k) contributions, profit sharing, and an annual bonus program.
All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship. PRINCIPALS ONLY. VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Priority referrals of protected veterans desired. Equal Opportunity Employer.