Senior Technical Manager | Silver Spring, MD
- Conduct senior-level consulting tasks, including but not limited to the following:
- Conduct strategic reviews of areas of study, analysis of trends and future directions, and quantitative analysis of relevant data (e.g., energy use and emissions associated with specific technologies).
- Confidently guide experts and leaders from industry, government, and academia to gather views on topics being studied by Nexight.
- Effectively synthesize background research, expert viewpoints, and own expertise into clear strategies, recommendations, and future directions for research programs managed by our clients.
- Lead and serve as the single point-of-accountability for the successful completion of client projects, including but not limited to the following:
- Monitor and manage all project activities to ensure on-time completion of project deliverables and milestones.
- Assume ultimate responsibility for the quality, accuracy, and completeness of project deliverables.
- Manage project team members, which include a combination of technical and non-technical staff members.
- Manage project costs and profit margins to ensure on-budget project completion.
- Manage and grow client relationships, often in collaboration with Nexight senior leaders.
- Identify, pursue, and successfully win new business opportunities to expand existing or new consulting areas for Nexight, including but not limited to the following:
- Work closely with Nexight management and staff to identify strategic business opportunities that will lead to new consulting projects.
- Lead the development and submission of winning proposals with government, commercial, and non-profit clients.
- Regularly scan and identify upcoming solicitations and proposal opportunities using proven tools, services, and methods to build a business development pipeline.
- Conceive, develop, and prepare unsolicited proposals and white papers that can lead to successful new projects and contracts with existing or prospective clients.
- Build and manage a consulting area of practice, based on one’s own expertise and subject matter knowledge, including but not limited to the following:
- Secure funding and other resources to sustain a core business base.
- Identify, hire, and manage staff to conduct project work and expand skills, tools, and expertise in the area of practice.
- Identify strategic hires of leading experts and consultants that can significantly grow the practice area.
- Mentor junior technical staff members to help them flourish in their careers.
- Participate actively in Nexight Group’s social media presence, including but not limited to:
- Write blog posts, thought pieces, and white papers in areas of expertise and interest, for publication on the Nexight website.
- Engage in LinkedIn and other professional social media sites and provide topically relevant information to Nexight’s social media team.
- Identify new opportunities for using social media to build Nexight’s brand and reputation.
Summary of Qualifications
- PhD in science, engineering, or related discipline
- 10 years of full-time professional experience, preferably in technical or management consulting
- 5 years of professional experience managing programs, including overall responsibility for project quality, schedule, and cost
- Highly effective technical and non-technical communications in written, graphical, and spoken forms
- Ability to work well in both independent and team-based environments
- Strict attention to detail and quality
- Strong proficiency in use of business, project management, and technical software, particularly Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- An entrepreneurial, “roll up your sleeves” spirit that realizes value in all tasks, large and small, likes to learn by doing, and desires continuous improvement and innovation
- Experience working with federal R&D funding agencies and/or national laboratories, or managing consulting projects for the federal government
- Experience supervising and mentoring junior staff
- Established track record of success in winning competitively awarded contracts with the Federal government
- Experience managing virtual teams composed of colleagues and collaborators who are not co-located
Why Nexight Group?
We believe in hiring the best people possible and creating a stimulating work environment where employees can have fun and excel professionally. We’re a small firm with a family atmosphere, and we value a work-life balance. At Nexight Group, you will not be bogged down in bureaucratic processes, but you will be challenged to perform at a high level, even outside your area of expertise. Employees visibly contribute to the success of the company, and are empowered to manage their careers and encouraged to explore professional interests.
To apply, please submit a complete resume and a cover letter that includes salary requirements and an explanation of how your skills and background fit with the position. Please include two writing samples that demonstrate your ability to synthesize technical information and present it clearly to the target audience. Work produced professionally is preferred, though academic writing samples are acceptable. Please send all information to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the job title for which you are applying in the subject line of your email. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
All full-time employees of Nexight Group receive a competitive salary and attractive benefits, including medical and dental insurance, company contributions to employee health savings accounts (HSAs), company 401(k) contributions, profit sharing, and an annual bonus program.
All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship. PRINCIPALS ONLY. VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Priority referrals of protected veterans desired. Equal Opportunity Employer.