Research and Communications Analyst (junior-level and mid-level) | Silver Spring, MD
Nexight Group is seeking an intelligent, thoughtful communications and research analyst with proven experience quickly becoming conversant in new technical topic areas, particularly related to energy-sector cybersecurity. An ideal analyst must apply his or her expertise to communicate effectively with different audiences, conduct desktop research efficiently, offer critical analysis, synthesize information to draw meaningful conclusions, and write original and engaging content (from in-depth studies to short talking points) that accurately conveys complex information.
Nexight Group is is a boutique firm in technical and management consulting that serves a variety of clients in many topic areas. Adaptability, critical thinking, genuine curiosity, and taking pride in hard work are all equally important to skills and subject matter expertise. Nexight has curated a culture of professionals striving to do well by doing good.
Applicants should have the necessary skills to perform the following job responsibilities:
- Rapidly build understanding of specialized, highly technical information in new subject areas and translate complex subjects into plain English for technical and non-technical audiences.
- Use excellent verbal and written communications to schedule, organize, and manage teams engaged in complex, multi-faceted projects.
- Assist in facilitating and engaging diverse groups of expert stakeholders to build partnerships, reach consensus decisions, and creatively solve complex problems.
- Pragmatically interface with individuals from different technical, experiential, and political backgrounds within the public- and private-sectors.
- Build subject matter expertise and use it to effectively synthesize research, data, and expert viewpoints, while tailoring information to the right audience.
- Develop both detailed and high-level summaries of interviews, meetings, and workshops.
Work location will be Silver Spring, MD, but candidates must be willing to onboard virtually (note that Nexight is currently permitting a limited number of employees to work from the Silver Spring office).
Summary of Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or comparative experience
- At least two years of professional experience working at least indirectly within the energy or cybersecurity sectors
- U.S. Citizenship (required due to work with government clients)
- Experience in scheduling and meeting coordination
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written, that reflect strong critical thinking, analysis, and synthesis capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to understand highly technical, complex information and translate it for technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to work well independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Strict attention to detail with minimal oversight required
- An entrepreneurial, “roll up your sleeves” spirit that realizes value in all tasks, large and small, likes to learn by doing, and desires continuous improvement and innovation
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, English, journalism, social sciences, public policy, public relations, or related field OR Bachelor’s degree in energy, electrical engineering, or cybersecurity with demonstrated writing experience
- Professional experience in a consulting or other professional services environment
- Experience conducting stakeholder consultations via interviews, focus groups, or facilitated workshops
- Experience facilitating diverse groups to come to consensus or collaborate on a way forward
- Ability to obtain a security clearance
Why Nexight Group?
We believe in hiring the best people possible and creating a stimulating work environment where employees can have fun and excel professionally. We’re a small firm with a family atmosphere, and we value a work-life balance. At Nexight Group, you will not be bogged down in bureaucratic processes, but you will be challenged to perform at a high level, even outside your area of expertise, and learn about a variety of topics. Employees visibly contribute to the success of the company, and are empowered to manage their careers and encouraged to explore professional interests.
To apply, please submit a complete resume and a cover letter that includes salary requirements and an explanation of how your skills and background fit with the position. Please include two sample work products or writing samples that demonstrate your research acumen and ability to synthesize technical information and present it clearly. Please send all information to email@example.com and reference the job title for which you are applying in the subject line of your email. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Promising candidates will be asked to perform a short exercise to assess analysis and synthesis capability.
All full-time employees of Nexight Group receive a competitive salary and attractive benefits, including medical and dental insurance, company contributions to employee health savings accounts (HSAs), company 401(k) contributions, profit sharing, and an annual bonus program.
All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship. PRINCIPALS ONLY. VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Priority referrals of protected veterans desired. Equal Opportunity Employer.